Hagood Mill Road
Pickens, SC 29671
864-898-5963
Email Hagood Mill
 
     

 

This restored gristmill is the only mill in South Carolina that uses the original wheel components. Built in 1826, then rebuilt in 1845 by James Hagood, the mill utilizes the waters of Jennings Creek (now Hagood Creek) to turn its 20-foot diameter wooden wheel. Visitors are welcome anytime, but to see it in action, and perhaps bring home some delicious stone-ground grits or cornmeal, drop by on the third Saturday of the month between 10 am and 4 pm. Throughout the year, the mill is also the site of heritage-based music festivals, traditional mountain crafts, and living history presentations. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. (From Pickens, take U. S. Highway 178 north. Go about three miles. Turn left onto Hagood Mill Road and the mill is immediately visible on the right.)

Hours: Third Saturday of each month, 10 am – 4 pm or by appointment. Grounds are open daily.